Shortened En Bloc Signature Period Worries Large Projects as Laguna Park and International Plaza Eye Fresh Attempts

Shortened En Bloc Signature Period Worries Large Projects as Laguna Park and International Plaza Eye Fresh Attempts

Collective Sales | August 8, 2026

While the government’s proposed lower consent thresholds have reignited hope for failed en bloc projects, the plan to shorten the collective sale signature period to six months has raised alarm among large developments. Sale committee members say collecting 70 per cent of owner signatures within half a year is nearly impossible for projects with hundreds of units, especially those with overseas or corporate owners.

6 Months
Proposed Signing Period
528 Units
Laguna Park
962 Units
International Plaza
70%/65%
New Consent Thresholds

Laguna Park: Five Failed Attempts, Still Not Giving Up

Laguna Park, a 99-year leasehold former HUDC estate in Marine Parade with 528 residential and commercial units, has attempted collective sale five times without ever reaching the 80 per cent consent threshold. Its fifth attempt carried a reserve price of S$1.48 billion, but only 49 per cent of owners had signed by the August 16 deadline.

Sale committee spokesperson Rita Waswani told Lianhe Zaobao that after the current round ends, the committee will hold meetings to discuss a fresh attempt under the new rules. However, she warned that collecting 70 per cent of signatures within six months is nearly impossible for a project of this scale.

“Our project has 528 residential and commercial units. Some owners live overseas or in other parts of Singapore without providing updated contact information, making it difficult to reach them. Some registered owners may have passed away, while others simply do not wish to sell,” she said. Waswani urged the government to extend the signing deadline for larger projects.

International Plaza: Corporate Owners Complicate Sign-Off

International Plaza, a mixed-use development built in the 1970s with 962 retail, office, and residential units, held a general meeting last week to vote on restarting its collective sale process and elected new sale committee members. Its last attempt in 2021 had a reserve price of S$2.7 billion.

A sale committee member noted that even in the previous round, owners only reached the 80 per cent threshold by joining the signing process near the very end. With corporate and overseas owners, the six-month timeline poses a significant challenge.

“Many of our owners are listed companies or foreign enterprises. Listed companies need shareholder approval, and foreign real estate companies need head office sign-off. This simply cannot be completed within half a year,” the member said.

Calls for Tiered Timelines by Project Size

Industry participants have suggested that the government set different signing deadlines based on project size. One proposal recommends six months for projects with 250 units or fewer, eight months for those with 250 to 500 units, and a full year for projects exceeding 500 units.

Jeremy Lake of Savills Singapore said the new rules have drawn positive reactions from owners of previously failed collective sale projects. However, he noted that some owners remain reluctant to join because of the additional buyer costs they would face, particularly for projects with many units and foreign owners.

ERA Property Network observed that while the new rules are helpful, collective sale projects still face challenges. If reserve prices are set competitively based on market conditions, this could improve the chances of attracting developer interest.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why are large en bloc projects worried about the shorter signature period?

The proposed six-month signing period is seen as nearly impossible for large developments with hundreds of units. Owners may live overseas, be corporate entities requiring board approval, or be unreachable, making it difficult to collect the required 70% consent within the timeframe.

What are Laguna Park’s en bloc prospects under the new rules?

Laguna Park, with 528 units, has failed five collective sale attempts without ever reaching 80% consent. Its sale committee plans to discuss a fresh attempt under the new lower thresholds of 70%/65%, but is concerned the six-month signing period is too short.

Is International Plaza attempting a new collective sale?

Yes. International Plaza, with 962 units, held a general meeting to restart its collective sale process and elected new sale committee members. Its last attempt in 2021 had a reserve price of S$2.7 billion.

What tiered timeline has been proposed for en bloc signatures?

Industry participants suggest six months for projects with 250 units or fewer, eight months for 250 to 500 units, and one year for projects exceeding 500 units.

Need Guidance on Singapore’s Property Market?

Whether buying, selling, or investing, our team at AsianPrime Properties is here to help you navigate every market cycle with confidence.

Talk to Our Team

Compare listings

Compare